Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Welcome back Maroonies!

Hello to all my students, new and old.  I have missed you these past few weeks and hope you had a fantastic summer.  As I am sure you know, Capstone will be half Economics and half venture development.  The idea is for you to understand how a business runs, and what outside factors might control the successful outcomes of a business.  Further, economics is more than just how a business runs, it includes human resources, politics, law, foreign relationships, globalisation, and a host of other issues.
For my half of capstone we will focus heavily on project management.  We all have these fantastic ideas, but how do we make them a reality?  Really?  Yeah, I am not sure either, but we will learn about it together.  Lucky for you I have taken classes in this subject over the summer.
That being said, I am hoping to have a few more guest speakers to help us broaden our perspectives and experiences.  It is going to be a great year.
Please spend a few minutes commenting on this blog post.  I would like you to share your venture idea from last year.  If you are new, go ahead and read the comments of other students, please share any ideas you have or issues you might like to solve.  We will talk about these in class after the postings are done.
Looking forward to a great year, Maroonies!

31 comments:

  1. My venture is to help bring an end to animal abuse by educating the younger generations. Also, I will be donating supplies to various shelters to help the people who already are helping the animals and I am volunteering at a shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My venture idea last year and for this year is to start theater classes at the Middle School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would do great! What theatre have you an idea about?

      Delete
  3. Ok so my capstone project that I'm working together on with Kali, is called Career days for the clueless!! Everyone got to watch the video on it:) its basically creating peer led career days that relate to our fellow classmate to help them discover their true passion. This year we hope to do lots of fundraising and bring in guest speakers to talk about their careers! This in turn will give others ideas about what they would like to do once graduating high school:) any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My venture project is with another person Michelle it is called Career Days for the Clueless!! Our venture project is focused around the fact that teens in high school usually don't know what they want to be when they become adults and when they go to college. We will be creating College Fairs a couple times a year to help students find out what their passions are and what are their interests. This will in turn help students in college refrain from switching majors and will help them find a solid course!!! If you have any comment or suggestions or any profession you want to hear about let us know!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to hear about veterinary careers!

      Delete
  5. I don't know how this thing works... Second time I've used an IPad... Uhm..... I don't really get what term you mean when you say "projects". I think of something that is like a poster or shows what you learned in class. I feel really uneducated about this but I can't always understand everything the first time around right?

    -Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a community service project! Everyone has to create one. You can do it with a partner or by yourself. Find something in the community you want to fix, figure out how, and begin! It takes a lot of planning so start soon:)

      Delete
    2. I'm unsure about starting my own. But I don't want to be the only one without one, nor do I want to intrude upon anyone else.

      Delete
  6. Ok, I'm sure Tim and I will get use to it here. I'm exited to get started in capstone class again to get our project ready to go.
    Sports to Success:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My capstone project is learning self-confidence through self-defense for teen girls, and I am going to be teaching girls techniques that will help them through their life that will make them a better person. My blog I made I am going to be changing possibly, so I will post later when I get the chance, and I know this is not a good explanation about my capstone but it is complex to explain all so quickly when I am still working on the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My venture would help educate youth about the importance of technical (or plain) writing. Since virtually all career paths require clear and concise writing this venture would be beneficial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. When you say plain writing do you mean formal, and persuasive? Or a more creative approach?

      Delete
    2. In a way plain writing is formal, it's meant to explain jargon or overly complicated text into something that can be easily understood. As to why plain writing is necessary for every career field imanigable.

      Delete
    3. Oh! I see now, that makes sense. Though not every career field has that requirement. Nowadays actually there aren't many who can score jobs like that just from not fulfilling other qualifications. Or they're just too stingy to give the position to anyone else.

      Delete
  9. Last year I started off with a foster home based capstone that soon changed to a pay it forward. However over the summer I felt compelled to start a recycling movement in my neighbrorhood. I hope to collect plastic grocery bags but who knows how far I can extend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheyenne and I are going to email the principal of the elementary and get that rolling. We are also going to add another member, Zoe! We are super excited!!!!;)
    #artofsuccess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So since you and Cheyenne both have separate parts to your project, what is Zoe's job going to be?

      Delete
  11. I taught a guitar class last year at the middle school and I am planning to one day make it into a business with donations and have many teachers teach an instrument to schools without a music class. I want to Get donations by having a concert fundraiser on the ASU college campus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My capstone project is to create free CPR classes for teens and young adults because the demands for paying for the classes cost way to much for one individual to pay for

    ReplyDelete
  14. Last year my capstone was on autism awareness. I worked with a partner and we researched autism and made presentations explaining our capstone and what autism is. My partner and I worked with Garet Westlake and we got to present at ASU 2nd Annual Autism conference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I currently don't have a project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My capstone project is Motivation Through Lyrical Illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward for this year for my capstone project and where it will go. I hope by my project this will help the youth improve their knowledge of where we come from and their language")

    ReplyDelete